Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Oil of Gladness

Easter is so close. I am thinking a lot about death right now because someone special to me is very sick. We don't know what is going to happen. There is so much pain in loss. We feel it here.

God made the biggest sacrifice by sending his only son to die for us. That must have been a painful decision to make. But, it was necessary. The Lord does not want anyone to perish. (2 Peter 3:9) Time after time, God watched as people denied Him or chose to do things on their own. (Sounds like me.) The people of Israel couldn't do it- they were God's chosen people. Exodus 19:5 If you obey me and keep my covenant- you will be my treasured possession. Yet, they made golden calves (Ex 32:7-8) and built high places to worship other gods (2 Kings 17:9).

God knew from the beginning that his people needed a savior. When He created the garden of Eden, he already had Calvary planned. He knew why he was sending his son to earth. Yet He had to do it. He loved us so much that he sent his son (John 3:16) to die a terrible, painful and tortuous death (Matthew 27:27-50).

It reminds me of my loved one, watching someone we love in pain and suffering. God watched his son and could not take that from him. Like us, Jesus asked his Father to take it away. In fact, he asked twice, Matthew 26:39 & 42. But, God could not. Jesus had to die so that we could know heaven (John 3:16). It is difficult to watch someone we love, hurt and know there is nothing more we can do.

I am not comparing my loved one to Jesus. I am saying that God understands the pain and hurt that we experience.

You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book.

- Psalm 56:8

Instead of turning against Him, we need to turn towards Him. He is the God of all comforts (2 Cor 1:3-4) and that is why he sent his son.

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...