Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fill 'er up

Mr. D and I were in the car not too long ago and a song came on about giving love away.
He asked "why would you give your love away?"
I said, "we give it away because it makes others feel better. Just like when Mommy hugs and kisses you , or when you tell Mommy you love her."
"Or when I share with my sister" he replied.
"Yes, that's right. You've got it!" I said.
"What if I don't have any love to give?" He asked.
I said, "Well, then you tell God you need more to give and He will fill you up. That's what God teaches us. That if we ask, He will give us love to give to others. We will never be empty because God will always give us more."
"I think I might be empty" he stated sadly.
"Tell God", I replied.
"God, can you fill my tank up, please?" He asked expectantly.

It is so easy to teach my children, but do I ever listen to my own words? I often feel empty, but I don't often ask for a fill up. I do other "things" like read my Bible, study my books, listen to praise music. All of these things are good and edifying and they work. I guess because I am a "grown up" I feel like I need to behave like a grown up. I should love God in a grown up way. But then, there is Matthew 18:3 unless you become like little children you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. With God I don't always have to be an adult. No matter what my age, I will always be His child. And that is grace. God will always love me and always give me what I need.

Father, please fill me up. My love tank is empty.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Lynnette, what an awesome picture- thanks for the reminder that we can be weak and admit our NEEDS to a God who loves to meet them! Kids just rock, don't they??? :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

    Lynnette,
    Youve presented a precious picture of our constant need for God to fill our hearts with His love. I love it when my children say something that speaks volumes of Truth--dont you? Its wonderful to witness God working in their hearts too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...