Friday, March 19, 2010

NOT PRIDE

My kids are currently taking swimming lessons through our community center. I am not allowed to take my son into the women's locker room. That is the rule. No matter what age, children of the opposite sex are not allowed in the locker room. I get it. They have a family locker room for this. There are individual rooms to shower and change. Very convenient, and easier to keep an eye on the kids... locked in a room all to ourselves. However, they happen to take swimming lessons at one of the busiest possible times. Therefore, we have waited up to 25 minutes to get a room (not fun for Mom with wet children).

There are no rules for getting a room. There is no specified line, in which to wait, and to say it is a free-for-all is an understatement. People leave class early to get a room, they save rooms for other people, adults without children come in to have their own private shower and people steal rooms. By this, I mean if they happen to be standing next to a room that opens up they will walk in ahead of anyone else who may have been waiting before them. It is not fun! I dread the after-swimming experience.

I came home this week VERY upset. I was angry. Why are people so sneaky? Why do people cut in front of others? Why don't people follow the same rules I do? I'm not trying to cut in front of you, if you were here first, you get a room before I do.

Then came the guilt. Why am I letting this upset me? It is not really a big deal. What does God say about this? What guidance can I gain from Him? So I went to His word. Let me tell you, the Bible does not say anything about line etiquette. I looked.

What is written?

Luke 9:48 For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest

Proverbs 19:11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

Romans 12:9-21 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.


Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

So, that is good. But, it didn't sit well with me. I didn't find peace. No peace, no God. Today, He brought it to me. Pride. The reason I was so upset was pure pride!

Luke 18:11-14 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

14"Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Proverbs 3:34 & James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

One of the greatest gifts my parents ever gave me was forcing me to go to Youth Group. I didn't want to go at first, but the friendships I formed and the experiences I gained built a firm foundation for the woman I am now. Our youth leader had several standard answers that we all despised! We knew they were coming, but it didn't stop the groaning or the protests that came, loudly, from 50+ high-schoolers. Whenever there was a competition he would announce the winners and the losers and then he would calmly say, "the first shall be last and the last shall be first".

I found that scripture this week. It is written four times in the new testament (Matthew 19:30, 20:16, Mark 10:31 and Luke 13:30). And then, I noticed something, in the NIV study bible the note on Mark 10:43 says "Jesus overturns the value structure of the world. The life of discipleship is to be characterized by humble and loving service." I added, "NOT PRIDE".

Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."(Mark 10:42-25)

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I didn't want to go to youth group at first either (and didn't until I was a sophomore). Some of Tom's favorite verses are now my own, especially in Matthew 25:40 where it says "when you do unto the least of these, you do unto me."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...