Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Whole Truth

All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I am a Bible Study nerd! I confess that I love sitting down and reading the Word, searching for new ideas or thoughts. I look forward to learning something new each day.

When preparing to study, there are a few things I must have:
- my Bible (of course)
- reading glasses for the small type
- my journal
- a cup of coffee
- my little black bag, which includes hi-liters, pencils, a few different pens and post-it notes

I always thought I was thoroughly prepared for my study time.

My study right now is The Hole in our Gospel by Richard Stearns, President of World Vision in the US. It is a life-changing book. It is really challenging my view of the world and the way I live.

One of the things Stearns mentions is taking scissors and cutting out all of the parts of the Bible that we don't believe or choose to ignore. Our Bible would then be full of holes! This is an echo for me. My Dad has talked about using a Sharpie to cross out all of the Scripture that we don't really believe.

all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. -Psalm 139:16b


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11


...you are precious and honored in my sight, and I love you -Isaiah 43:4a


I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. -Psalm 139:14

We have a decision to make. We can believe God and His Word as the Whole Truth or we can treat the Bible like a buffet; picking and choosing what to believe and what to ignore.

I am trusting God on this... He is much smarter than me!

So, this morning I added a Sharpie to my little black bag, just as a reminder.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. What a great reminder. I pray your Sharpie goes untouched! In my humanness, I keep picking mine up, remembering and throwing it back down! :-) Praise God for His mercy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...