Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Milk Messages from God


So many times, we have said to our kids "the effort you put in, is what you get out". Whether it is sports, homework or friendships, our effort in, equals the value gained. I knew the kids weren't "getting it." So one night, I prayed and asked for wisdom.

The next morning, before breakfast, I wrote Effort on the side of our milk carton. As we sat down to our cereal, I asked the kids, "what is effort?" They both responded and we came up with an acceptable definition. I showed the kids that for the morning, our milk would represent our effort. I poured a splash of "effort" into each cup. The kids glared at me... quite upset with their lack of milk. "I only put a little effort in," I said. "When you only put a little in, you only get a little out." Then, I asked them to think about something they had to do that day.
Little Miss responded, "I have a fact quiz."
"How hard are you going to try?" I asked.
"I'm going to try like always," she decided. So, I filled her cup half-way with milk.

Mr. D said, "I have music today."
"And are you going to be a good listener and sing your best?"
"Not really," he said laughing. I gave him another little splash of milk. He wasn't happy with me.
"If you aren't going to try, you aren't going to get anything out of music today. You only get out, as much as you put in" I added, trying to help him understand. "What else do you have?" I asked him.
"I have hockey practice and I am going to try super-duper hard!" he said, grinning. I filled his cup to the point that the milk almost spilled over. The kids were both shocked by the almost overflowing cup, but they got the message.

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you -James 1:5


What are you trying to teach your kids today? Ask God for wisdom. He created your kids, He knows exactly what they need to hear and how to reach them best.

Photobucket

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...