Friday, February 3, 2012

My to do list won't let me sleep!

I looked at the clock, the bright red numbers glared back at me through the darkness... 4:35. I had been awake for hours tossing and turning, never finding rest. I could not shut off the voices, the worry, in my head. "Please God", I prayed, "let me sleep."
As I have mentioned before, I tend to seek perfection from myself. I want to please everyone. I want everything right. There seem to be so many tasks calling for my attention right now. So many things unfinished. Rather than picking one and getting to work, I find myself paralyzed. "If I can't do it right {perfect} I'm not going to start it."
I know this is not healthy thinking. I know I need to do the tasks God has given me and not worry about others opinions. After all, I am only trying to please Him, not myself, my husband, my kids or my friends.


And then, His Word comes to me and speaks softly, reminding me. 

Photo by Danilo Rizzuti
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30
Father, help me, teach me your way. I have been trying to do things on my own again and I am not doing very well. Please give me discernment to recognize the tasks you have asked me to do and the burdens I have placed on myself. I am weary. I need you. Jesus, give me rest from my striving, Amen. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...