Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mama Always Said


I am so pleased to introduce you to my mom, Helenann Steensen! We had a conversation a few years ago about all of us getting older, she said, "I wonder when my wisdom is going to kick in? There is so much I still don't understand at my age." Ever since that conversation, when one of us does something mildly brilliant {LOL} we say, "hey, your wisdom is kicking in!" Makes us laugh!

I really have learned so much from my mom. I am grateful for all she has taught me. I truly appreciate her as my mom and even more as my friend. 


1. What is your life verse? What does it mean to you?

John 3:30 ~~ “He must become greater; I must become less.”

As I aged, I thought I would grow up and out... Well, I have indeed grown out, but I am still trying to grow up... I am still the major roadblock to God’s plan. I work daily to make His will -- my will .... The days He is greater in my life are the days that I have the greatest peace!




2. I realized I was my mother when...

I realized I was my mother when I first successfully used “the look.” Growing up, I promised myself that I would never do that to MY kids! But I discovered that “the look” eliminated embarrassment in public! And “the talk” came later in private. Once again, my mother was right.




3. I know now, but I wish I knew then...

Everyone talks/warns about the terrible twos, the independent teens, the challenge of discipline, the cost of education...etc. No one tells you that one day your children will grow up and move many miles away or even to other states!




4. What is one thing you do just for you to relax and refresh?

My morning devotion and prayer time when I take time to sit with God, get lost in His Words, His embrace and His love. That time brings me wholeness and renewal. It pulls me back together when the world and my own flesh threaten to tear me apart.



5. By now, I thought I would...

BE MATURE.... walking steadily and surely in His footsteps without wavering and with increased wisdom and knowledge. Now I know that maturity is recognizing how immature I am and how much I need to learn and grow!




6. In the midst of the chaos a special trick that helps me cope...

Repeat.... “Your will (not mine) be done, Lord.” That means I have to Stop! Be Silent! Humble Myself (usually my pride is getting in the way again). Ask God to take over, teach me, lead me...




7. If I could go back for one day...

I would spend more time communicating to my (or each) child the special and unique gifts God has given to them. I would end everyday, during each child’s prayer time, thanking God for their uniqueness and the gift of their presence on this earth.




8. The best advice I ever received about being a Mom...

You are the model your children will follow. Don’t just say it! You must live it! Second by precious second of each and every day!




9. Don't worry about...

Don’t worry!!! God is in charge. God has a plan. He wins every battle.




10. A perfect day for me...

Being with my family! Spending time together and rejoicing in God’s many gifts! Sharing life, laughter, tears, love and of course giving LOTS of hugs. We are a touchy-feely group!




Thank you for doing this Mom, you are the best! I love you!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...