Friday, December 3, 2010

What's In a Name?

Photo by Gregory Szarkiewicz

ELOHIM, EL SHADDAI, ADONAI, JEHOVAH, KADOSH, LORD, SHAPHAT, EL ROI, CHRIST, PALET, YESHUA, MAGEN, DESPOTES, I AM, JESUS, SHEPHERD, JEHOVAH ELOHIM, EL ELYON, GOD


What do these names mean to you? Try reading them again, out loud. What feelings do you experience? Are you stirred? Humbled? Awed? Inspired?

I am very unsettled with the use of God in our everyday conversations. I'm not referring to conversations that involve: "my God is so great" or "God is good all the time".  I am talking about casual, flippant remarks, such as: "Oh my God" or "What in God's name".

I had a similar conversation via Facebook, a couple of months ago. The Facebook responses were quite passionate. The issue seemed black and white to the people who responded. Either it was no big deal to say "OMG" or it was a very big deal.

I fall in the category of it is a very big deal. It bothers me to the core. I don't say it, and I don't let my kids say it. We don't even say "O-M-G", because of the meaning behind it and what the letters represent. To me, it is using a holy name in a demeaning, disrespectful and irreverent way. I believe that He deserves more.

I was at a gathering back in October and I was introduced to a woman who grew up with my husband. They knew each other from church and school. She and my husband began playing catch-up; what they are doing now, where they live, how many kids and their ages, along with various other details. My husband included me in the conversation and it quickly turned toward faith, as I mentioned attending Bible studies and our couples small group. She added that she is also involved in her church.

As the conversation progressed to other topics, I became increasingly more uncomfortable. This Christian woman used "God-d@%&" so many times in the conversation that I lost track! I was shocked and disturbed and hurt. I could no longer concentrate on the discussion we were having. In my mind, the rest of her words were overshadowed by this great offense. I stood there dumbfounded as her words continued to spill out. I tried to think of a way to excuse myself and I may have even just walked away as she and my husband ended their dialogue. 

During our drive home that night, I brought it up to my husband. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me and I needed to wrap my head around what had been said. 
Out of nowhere, I started, "I can't believe that she said that". 
"What?" My husband had no idea what I was referring to. 
"(insert name). I can't believe how many times she said G-D". I didn't want to say it, I only used the letters. 
"Oh well, she will probably just confess and her slate will be wiped clean," my husband stated simply. 
"But that doesn't make it right," I responded.
"No, but that is what we were taught," he said. Referring to the church they attended. 

My husband and I have had this conversation before. This is not new territory for us. We have both grown in our faith since we first met and we work at not using this language. But, for the first time, discussing this issue, I had a response. I believe that the Holy Spirit gave me wisdom that night. The words came to me and before I had time to think, I spoke. 
"If she really loved Him, if she really knew what He had done for her, she wouldn't use His name that way. Can you imagine using one of our children's names that way?"
"No one ever explained it that way to us." His response was simple and thought-filled.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

I would like to have a mulligan and go back to my conversation with that woman. When she started down her path, I would like to say, "That is my Father you are talking about. I love God, and I will not listen to you degrade His name". Perhaps I would walk away, perhaps I would wait to hear her response.

I am not perfect. I have said things that I know I shouldn't. I don't want anyone to feel condemned. I am working on this too. Every day, I strive to be more like Jesus. I just can't imagine Jesus talking with Peter and saying, "OMG, can you believe how many people we fed today?"

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Exodus 20:7

Lord, you are holy and you are worthy of so much more than I often give. Thank you for your forgiveness and mercy even when I haven't done anything to deserve it. I pray that I you will give me the words I need so that my conversations will be full of grace and seasoned with salt, so that I know how to answer everyone (Col 4:6). Please teach me to be more like Jesus in my actions and my choice of words. You are my friend and I will treat you as such. Amen.


More information on the names of God.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Yes, Yes! Black and white for me as well! I cringe when I hear it! I will rethink my responses to others! Preparation is 100% the answer to our walk with Him! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...