Friday, December 10, 2010

My Experience as a Lotion Lady

I got to wash feet last night. (Jesus washes the disciples feet, John 13)

Ok, not really, but that is what I first thought of when our church put out the request for "Lotion Ladies". During the large shows at Christmas and at Easter, our church, stations ladies in the Women's bathroom. The sole purpose and responsibility of these ladies is to dispense lotion to women as they leave the bathroom.

I will admit it sounds slightly shady and maybe a little creepy to hang out in the bathroom all night waiting for visitors. However, I was eager to help. Last year at Christmas, I experienced the Lotion Ladies for the first time. As I was leaving the bathroom, a nice woman close to my mom's age offered me some lotion. Really for me? I thought to myself. It was nice smelly lotion from Bath and Body Works. Of course, I would love some lotion! My mom, sister and I left the bathroom, with our spiritual cups filled a little more. It was a simple gesture, but one that left a large impression.

So, when the request for help came this time, I was happy to participate. I contacted the coordinator of the Lotion Ladies, and then doubt set in. I started re-thinking my hasty offer to volunteer. It had been great to receive the lotion, but what if giving wasn't quite as great. Previous work with the public has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Some people can be quite .... u-hem ... unpleasant. And then, what about the perfume ladies at the mall? I will be honest, when I see them, I run in the opposite direction. But, for the moment, I set my fears aside.

Last night, filled with apprehension, I went and checked myself through security to get to the place where I would be stationed for the evening. I walked into the bathroom and quickly found my spot. Waiting for me between the exit door and the sinks, was a stool and three bottles of lotion. One was unscented and two were the wonderful smelly lotion from Bath and Body Works. I got settled on my stool and waited.

The first woman came into the bathroom and I felt weird! Where do I look? I can't watch her walk into a stall! Don't make eye contact yet. Ugh, what was I thinking? She came out and I smiled. I wasn't really sure what to say. Ugh, this is uncomfortable. She finished washing her hands and I meekly asked if she would like some lotion. Her face lit up! "Really?" She asked, shocked and pleased. She accepted, said thank you and left.

After that first awkward encounter, the evening improved. With each pump of the lotion, I felt a little more comfortable. I began joking with the ladies, welcoming them to our church and sending wishes to "enjoy the show".

There were so many different reactions. Some were eager. Some were shocked. Some were embarrassed. Some declined. Many were grateful, "I needed lotion, thank you."

As women offered their cupped hands towards me, I really began looking. There were so many beautiful hands. New ones and old ones. Long fingers and short. Pretty painted nails and short ones that had seen hard work. Each of those hands were filled with stories and so much love.

Jesus loves you. Do you know how much? I never said it. But I prayed it several times as I was pumping lotion. He does love each of us without measure. I hope that some of the women and girls got the message last night. Not because of the lotion, but because of the great Christmas story that they experienced, first hand, at the show. Jesus is truly the best gift we could ever receive and it is even better when we give Him to others.

At the end of my post, I left the bathroom, my spiritual cup overflowing.

Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. John 1:16

Father, thank you for your abundant gifts. Thank you for your grace that I cannot earn on my own. Thank you for your mercy when I deserve punishment. Thank you for the ultimate gift of your son, Jesus. Lord, I do not know all of the women who have touched my life. But, you know each of them by name. Please call each of them into a deeper relationship with you. Please bless them abundantly and fill them with your love. I love you for calling me and filling me so that I can freely give to others. Please open my eyes to the people in my life that might need more of your love and enable me to love them. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! How awesome and privileged we are to serve. Your words are so powerful! A reminder to us all as we take the role of a servant, we please God!
    Matthew 25:40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to follow your lead and be the Lotion Lady tonight. And, it is no surprise to see mom's scripture quote of Matthew; one of my faves and sooooo perfectly suited for "such a time as this."

    Love you Lyla... thank you for leading by example.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...