Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Torrent

I have a confession to make. I got completely caught up in the Christmas Craze today. I was not a very good follower of Jesus and I set a terrible example for my young children. I started the day by oversleeping. I didn’t get my shower, coffee and quiet time with Jesus before my kids woke up. That always makes me grumpy. From there, I set out to conquer my overwhelming to-do list. I spent the day doing things I really didn’t want to do.
Every year, I tell myself that I am going to be more organized. That I am going to get my shopping done early and get my Christmas cards mailed more than two weeks before Christmas. It didn’t happen this year. I was frantically trying to find the perfect family picture, just this morning, so that I could order the cards and get them addressed today. Yep, days before Christmas.
After some toppling issues, I put the finishing touches on our tree today. I was able to put away the ornament boxes and vacuum up the pine needles that stick to everything. Finally, the house was looking festive rather than trashed.
In the midst of the chaos of laundry, decorating and addressing cards, I did manage to referee several disputes between my kids. The arguments varied depending on the toy they were playing with (fighting over). But, it was mostly tattling and finger pointing mixed with grabbing and yelling.
These are not the scenes I imagine when I dream of Christmas. The Christmas in my mind looks more like a Norman Rockwell painting. Our family happily decorates the tree together, plays board games and sips hot cocoa filled with marshmallows. We would read Christmas stories before bed and enjoy cuddle time at the end of a day filled with happy memories.
Where did it all go wrong? I know that I set the tone this morning and I was definitely off-key. I started down the wrong path and then, shared my sourness with my beautiful children.
Something in the reading for today caught my eye though. 
Revelation 12:15, Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. 

Oh, Dear Lord, this was me today. I couldn’t get a foothold. My to-do list crashed over my head and the undertow of the days events caused me to somersault and prevented me from finding which way was up.
There was something else that caught my eye though, the woman was overtaken by the water spewed from the serpents mouth.
What lies was I hearing and believing today? There were things I did today because I thought I needed to. My kids don’t really care whether I send out Christmas cards. I didn’t really need to put that last string of lights outside. That was my choice, and to be honest, it was more of a pride issue than anything else. 
In the last few years, our family has done a better job of cutting back on our gifts and sharing with others who may not be as fortunate. Today, though, I lost sight of what this season is really about.
Now that I reflect on the ugliness of the day, God tried to help me up and I didn’t hear Him. As we were walking in to pick up the last minute cards, my five year old said, “Mom, Christmas is really all about Jesus. It is his birthday and we all get to celebrate it.” I wasn’t really listening. “That’s right”, I said. “If it weren’t for Jesus, we wouldn’t be celebrating Christmas.”
Lord, I confess that, today I was not all that you created me to be. I’m sorry for not spending time with you this morning. I didn’t give you authority over my to-do list. Instead, I took it on myself, wrongly thinking I could do it alone. I’m sorry for being stubborn and prideful. Please forgive me. I want to do better, God, for you, for my family and for me. Teach me how to celebrate Christmas your way, Father. Show me what is truly important and help me to release the things that really don’t matter. Thank you for sending your son, Jesus, to save me from my sins. I want to live my life for you and shine your light in this world, today and everyday. Amen.

Hugs,
Lynnette

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...