Tuesday, November 2, 2010

vote

I have to say I was very excited to see the reading today. One of my very favorite verses is found in Jeremiah 29. I started to write the blog in my mind. 
“Oh, this is going to write itself!” 
I felt God speaking to me. “Finish reading”.
“But this is it”, I said.
“Finish reading.”
God doesn’t usually want us to go the easy way. There is no chance of growing through the easy route. When I got to Titus 3, I read His message for today. 
Praise God for His perfect timing.
What could be more appropriate on election day? Titus 3:1-2, Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.
As Christian’s we should be setting a good example for the people around us. We should do our homework, find out who is the best person for the job and make sure we get to the polls and vote for that person. I know it is difficult, because not every candidate is perfect in their views on various subjects and so, there are times when you have to look at the bigger issues and vote according to those. Our local Christian radio station has done their homework on the “big” issues and has been encouraging people to get out and vote. I will admit that I am not good about following the news and what is happening, so this information has been helpful to me.
The part of Titus 3 that really stood out to me, was “slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.” It is very common to hear people cutting down our authority figures or elected officials, the choices they make, their character and even their race. I really have a problem with this. I may not agree with all of the choices that our leaders make, but I am a Christian at all times, I need to act accordingly and be respectful. It is one thing to disagree and completely another to tear the person apart. 
I like what The Message says, no insults, no fights. God’s people should be bighearted and courteous (Titus 3:1-2, emphasis mine). For me, that is the bottom line. You can’t get much more straightforward than that.
I am one little person in a little town in the middle of nowhere. I won’t be making any big impact on government any time soon. But, God is bigger than anything I can do or even imagine. The most powerful thing I can do is pray. Pray that I make the right choice at the polls. Pray that the right people get into office. Pray that God’s will be done on election day. But, it doesn’t end there. The best thing we can do once the elections are over, is pray for our leaders and officials. Pray that they will make good decisions and follow God. Pray for their strength to do the right thing. Pray for protection and good counsel around them. Prayer is so much more effective than criticism. 
I encourage you to vote today. You are only one person, but you have the Creator of the Universe on your side. The Victory is His!
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

 
Father, thank you for your word and your perfect timing. I want to vote responsibly today. Please open my ears and my heart so that I can vote for your people, so that your will is accomplished. You know the perfect person for each position on the ballot, use me as your instrument to get those people into office. Please protect each of our representatives from evil and from darkness. Lord, guide them in their decisions, actions and work. Your word says, to support and respect the people you have placed into positions of authority. Help me to build up rather than tear down. Teach me to be constructive rather than cruel. Show me how to be a light in my community and my country. Thank you Lord, for always knowing what is best for me. I know that you are in control today. In Jesus precious name. Amen.
Hugs,
Lynnette

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...