Monday, November 8, 2010

Life. Some assembly required.

This past weekend, I went to a fundraiser for the firefighters who were recently hurt in a Detroit business fire. The fundraiser featured several local rock bands and was held in a bar. This used to be a comfortable place for me, but in the last several years, places and scenes like this have become increasingly more uncomfortable. But, we had friends injured in that fire who are struggling to regain their lives and so, we have made an effort to support them whenever we are able.

I sat on a stool surrounded by my husband and friends and I began to look around and do some people watching. I saw people of many ages and a true mixture of styles. I have been making jewelry since high school, and so this is often one of the first things I look at. I was surprised to note a great number of crosses. It stirred my soul. I began really thinking about it.


What does the cross mean to you? 

As my journey progresses, I would answer this question differently now than I would have even a year ago. The more that I understand and live, the more that the cross represents to me.

How has your life changed since accepting Jesus? 

Accepting Jesus is the first part of our journey and for most, it is the easiest part. This however, is just the beginning. If we accept Jesus today and then go about our lives the same way we did yesterday, we are missing the point.

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity (Hebrews 6:1, NIV) 

On the radio this week, the DJ said, “Christian means little Christ”. We are supposed to become more like Christ and be little Christ’s in the world. Everyday, we need to work to be more like Him. For me, this has been the hard part. 



Imagine if I gave you a pile of materials like wood, screws, nails and various tools and then I said “I will give you one million dollars if you build a birdhouse”. Piece of cake you think, even without woodworking experience, I can fake my way through this and put together a birdhouse. Even if it is not pretty, it will be functional. “Here is the catch”, I say. “It has to look exactly like mine”. Things just got a little tougher, but bring it on, you think. “Oh, and you don’t get to see mine, and you don’t get any instructions”, I add. At this, your heart might sink. There isn’t much chance that your birdhouse will look exactly like mine, and that million dollars will not be going home with you.

Now, imagine God doing this; “I will give you eternal life if you live a live exactly like I planned for you. But, I’m not going to give you any instructions.” I have lived this way! Struggling with decisions, trying to be a better person through my own strength, wondering what God really wants for me. Life with Him is not supposed to be that difficult.

God gave us the gift of Jesus, some assembly required. The building and assembly, however, is us. God has given us all the instructions and all the tools we need in order to succeed. But, we will never make it if we don’t know what He wants us to do. It is so important to get into His word. Read the instructions that He has given us. Find the tools that He has given us and use them.

We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go. It's an unbreakable spiritual lifeline, reaching past all appearances right to the very presence of God where Jesus, running on ahead of us, has taken up his permanent post as high priest for us. (Hebrews 6: 18-20, The Message) 

Keep your eyes fixed on Him and on His word. The more we use the gifts He has given, the more we hold on to the promises He has made, the more we will be like Him.

There is always another option with a gift. We can choose to return it.

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned. (Hebrews 6: 4-8) 

There are people who have completely rejected the gift of Jesus. They have seen the goodness and the power and have chosen to give it back. Unwanted. It is a scary thought. It leaves me with the same uncomfortable feeling I had this weekend.

Don’t leave this gift in the box. Open it up!

Heavenly Father, I don’t want to waste the gift you have given me. I want to read your instructions, put my life together according to your plan and I want to be more like Jesus. I don’t want to remain unchanged. Please open my eyes, ears, heart and mind to all of your promises. I don’t want them to go unused. Amen. 

Hugs,

Lynnette

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...