Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hold on tight

I woke up this morning thinking about Job. At the risk of my mom tuning out, I decided to write about it anyway. She does not like Job. But every time I tried to think different thoughts, he kept coming back to my mind. So, here we are.

The last two weeks have been unusually dark. Our lives have been filled with loss, death, young families being torn apart by divorce, cancer and even horror. It has not all happened, directly to our family, but it has come uncomfortably close to our door step. So, you can see why I was thinking about Job. He lost everything. His livelihood and all of his children were taken in a matter of a few short verses (Job 1:13-19). 

At times like this, it would be very easy to start questioning God. How could He let this happen? Where is the sense in this tragedy? 

At times like this, it would be very easy to start blaming God. Why would He do this? How can He hurt His children?

But, we need to take a step back. 

Job 1: 6-12

One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.  The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”
Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

“Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

It wasn't God that attacked Job, it was Satan. During dark and difficult times, we need to remember that we live in a fallen world. This is no longer the Garden of Eden where everyone is good and honest and forthcoming. There is sin, sickness and pain. There are other forces at work here.

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

It is so easy to dwell in this darkness, to be caught up in all the scary details and questions. During these Job moments we just need a glimmer of hope. At these times, I feel like anything good will be the fresh air that I need to keep pressing on.

Mark 5:21a, 25 - 33

When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake,

A large crowd followed and pressed around him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked,“Who touched my clothes?”

“You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”

But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her,“Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”



I can remember a time not so long ago that I was on my knees praying, I knew, that if I could just touch the hem of his cloak, I would be ok. During the times of sadness, we have a choice to make. We can sit and soak in the darkness or we can push through the crowd and reach out to Him. It may be desperation or determination, but either way, our faith in Him is what leads to healing.

I have hope. My God is bigger than any of the bad things that are happening around us. He is still in control. He is always good. He cannot do anything that is not based in love. He can turn the bad things around and use them for our good or the good of others.

I had a glimmer this weekend. My little sister got married. The wedding was wonderful. We had so much fun as a family. She looked beautiful and she married a good Christian man. I know that they will have rough seasons in their marriage. Two people walking through life together is not always an easy journey. The best thing they have going for them is their love of Jesus. I know that they will make it through the dark times, because I know they will push through the crowd and grab hold of his cloak.



Lord Jesus, thank you for making yourself available to us when we need you most. You are never too busy or too far away. When we reach out to you, you are faithful to turn to us, look right at us and provide the healing that we need. Thank you for blessing us with your presence and your love. Thank you for your comfort in a world that doesn't make sense. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Looooove this entry. I am a fan of Job. Early on when everything was going wrong in my life, I kept asking: How much more can I take? Just how long am I supposed to try and make it work? How can sooo many things go wrong before the one before it goes away?

    My pastor told me "Read Job." My friend told me "Read Job." I didn't want to read Job...and then I did.

    You're right...it isn't God that puts us through things but God that GETS us through them. He never said it would be easy but he DID say he would never leave us.

    Hold tight to what you know is good...just as he hold tight to us for the VERY same reason.

    Thank you Lynnette for a perfect reminder to focus on ALL he has gotten me through and not what the negative parts were as He was doing it.

    Love ya like a sister...in Jesus


    Gidge

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...