Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Withered Fig


Jesus cursing a fig tree. This story intrigued me. It is just a tree for crying out loud, what could it possibly have done to you, I wondered. 
Not knowing anything about fig trees, I started there. When fig trees are in season, they grow leaves and fruit (figs) at the same time. This tree stood out from the rest of the trees because it was not the season for the trees to bloom. Against the backdrop of the other barren trees, this tree stood out, calling them. Jesus approached the tree believing that he would be treated to a fig. However, the abundance of leaves did not lead to an abundance of fruit. There was not one fig to be found. The absence of fruit was the cause of the curse.
Of course, the problem was not the literal lack of fruit, Jesus was concerned with the absence of Spiritual fruit. The people of Israel, God’s chosen people were given more opportunities than any of the other people of their time. Instead of loving God and obeying His commands, they repeatedly turned to their own ways and ideas. Their biggest mistake, was rejecting the Messiah.
The Jews and Pharisees were covered in leaves; ceremony, creed, history, doctrine, show, tradition and reputation. All of these things were for show. They lacked what was truly important, faith in God. 
God says that if we are truly in Christ and He is in us, we will display the fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 tells us exactly what fruit we should bear: the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 

I know we cannot be perfect all the time, sometimes we will have a bad day and not bear good fruit. God knows that and He forgives us when we confess our failures. Failure is not final, however, God forgives us and we move on. But daily, we should be living through Christ, relying on his power and his ways, striving, to grow Spiritual fruit.
If we are not bearing the fruit of the Spirit, we need to take a look and see why not.
Am I obeying the guidelines God has given us?
Am I seeking God and all His ways?
Do I trust God and all of His words?
Am I living through His power or struggling on my own?
I recently heard a message about living life through Christ. Accepting Christ does not automatically mean life is easier and we are now living just like Him. We have work to do. Daily we have to give up our fleshly desires and the ways of the world. We have to seek Him and learn His ways, so that we will become the people He created us to be. At the end of the message, the Pastor asked a question that I will carry with me for quite a while.
Are people closer to Christ by talking to you?
I have decided to make this my mission. I don’t want people to see me as a tree full of beautiful leaves that bears no fruit.
Thank you God for sending your son, Jesus, to show me the right way to live. Thank you for the Holy Spirit that teaches and guides me daily. I want to grow the fruit of the Holy Spirit, I don’t want to live without sharing your love with others. I want to live my life for your glory, so that others will be drawn to you. Amen.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...