Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Father's Work

I went to school to be a Graphic Artist. I always loved art and the thought of being creative all day seemed like my dream job. After graduating, it took me a couple of years to actually get a job in Graphic Design and when it finally happened, I loved it. I was working for a screen printing and embroidery shop. I enjoyed the people I worked with. I delighted in creating artwork and I loved working through problems to find the perfect solution. Eventually, I began to notice changes around the office and in my heart. At one point, I can remember thinking, “I am decorating t-shirts, how am I making the world a better place?” 
I was laid-off from this job while I was 9 weeks pregnant with our first child. Although I was devastated, I eventually learned that God had a better plan. It has now been 8 years since I worked outside of our home. 
Today as I was reading John 17, I started thinking about the work that God has given me in this season. As a stay-at-home mom, sometimes I get caught up with the monotony of the laundry, cleaning, dishes, homework and activities routine. But as I thought longer today, God reminded me that there is more to mothering than providing for my children’s physical needs. God has called me to disciple my children, to share the Good News with them. I need to be a good witness to them whenever I can and I need to talk about Jesus at every possible opportunity.
Before Jesus died on the cross, it was his responsibility to preach to the Jews, give proof that he was the Messiah, and teach the disciples how to follow God without being caught up the the laws being taught by the Pharisees. Just before being arrested, Jesus was praying, and he said, “I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.” John 17:4
That passage really jumped out at me today, because that is what I want more than anything. At the end of my life, I want to be able to say to God, “I brought you glory by finishing the work you gave me.”
There are days that I feel overwhelmed by the work He has given me. Thinking about everyday until the end of my life is too much to absorb at one time. I need to break it down into smaller pieces. I realized that I want to live everyday that way. At the end of each day I want to say, “I brought you glory today by finishing the work you gave me to do”.
This seems much more doable for me. I will do my best today. 
And then God reminded me. I am not alone. There are big things God will ask me to do, but He doesn’t expect me to conquer them alone. God has already worked things out for today. He knows exactly what I need for today and He will provide everything if I ask.
As for those times I feel overwhelmed, I often realize that I am trying to tackle my work alone. I have not asked for God’s power or blessings or the provisions that He wants to give me. Ultimately, my job for today includes trusting in Him and relying on His perfect provision for whatever we face.
God thank you for Jesus and for giving me the tools I need to be a good disciple and a good parent. I confess that I have not followed Jesus’ example the way that I should. I want to change that and I want work better today. I want to bring you glory by the work that I finish this day. Thank you for providing the power, patience, wisdom and strength that I need and thank you for being with me through each task. Amen.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...