Friday, March 4, 2011

Hungry?

Photographer: Suat Eman


He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

Deuteronomy 8:3

For those who have been following my blog for awhile, you may remember that last year I decided to read through the Bible in 90 days. I started June 1 and finished on August 28, 2010. I love a challenge and I wanted to read through the Bible. This challenge was a perfect fit for me.

I will admit that I did not gain a tremendous amount of knowledge during this reading. There were scriptures that jumped out that I had to hi-lite, but for the most part, I was reading to get through it. I know that this sounds bad, but the organization that wrote the challenge actually encouraged this. Their reasoning was, that while we could/should enjoy the experience we could easily get discouraged if we spent the time on comprehension and digging deeper. I needed the permission, to just read and not worry or feel concern for the things I didn't understand.

I cannot tell you the sense of accomplishment that I had, after completing the challenge. I did a little research today. 100 million Bibles are sold each year, throughout the world. As of 1992, there were an estimated 6 billion Bibles in the world. 92% of American homes have at least one Bible, but the average number of Bibles per American home is three. These numbers amazed me. The numbers are estimates, apparently, there have so many Bibles printed, they do not have specific numbers. Wow! How cool is that? I love that God's Word is so accessible.

Unfortunately, the good news ends here. I had a lot of trouble finding accurate information regarding people actually reading the Bible. The most reliable information that I could find, reported that only about 10% (or less) of church attenders have read the Bible in it's entirety. Approximately 37% of church attenders read the Bible weekly and average about 50 minutes per week.

I don't want anyone to feel bad or guilty about where they fall within these numbers. Please remember that I read the entire Bible for the first time, less than a year ago. I am not trying to point fingers or call anyone out. I want to encourage you! As I journey through the Bible for the second time (more slowly), I realized that reading the Bible has changed my life in so many ways.

We are bombarded with information and so much of it is not healthy for us. There are so many sources that fill our mind; news, television, radio, movies, books, magazines. If you eat bad food, your body will not work properly. Likewise, what you are putting into your mind is going to be evident in your words, deeds and actions. Garbage in, garbage out.

I know some people will disagree with me, but the Bible is my dose of reality.

The Bible is what I want to base my life upon. It's better than the "reality" of TV that could lead to the demise of my marriage or family.

The Bible is what I want to teach my children. I want them to treat others with kindness and respect, not learn that the only way to get ahead is to step on the people around them or degrade them.

The Bible is what I want to believe about myself. God looks at my heart, not my outside that does not look like a supermodel. And, no matter how many times I mess up during the day, He still loves me, exactly as I am.

The Bible is what I want to use as my compass. I don't want to make decisions based on what the most popular talk show says is "right".

I would encourage you to get your Bible out, dust it off and open it up. Watch one less show per day and read a couple of chapters. It won't take much for your life to be influenced for the better. No time spent with God will return void. He will bless you!

Don't be afraid of what you don't understand. If you want, you can look it up. If you don't feel led to do research, move on. There is something that God wants you to know today and He will provide the wisdom you need to understand it and apply it!

The more time we spend in the Word, the more we will reflect our Father. To me, that is an awesome promise!

Lord, you have made Your Word so accessible and I confess that I have taken that for granted. You have given me a road map for my life and I have not looked at it as much as I should. Please give me a hunger for your word. There is something missing in my life and it can only be satisfied with more of You. Please teach me and show me Your way. I will do my part of making the time and reading. I know that you will fulfill Your part, of teaching and supplying the wisdom I need. Thank You Lord for my Bible. Amen

1 comment:

  1. You achieved what it took me much longer to achieve.

    And I agree the slowing down to digest is the very best. This is how we make His word become our word and life! Amen!!!!

    Did you know that at one (unnamed) Christian book store the single most stolen book is the Bible??? Wonder what God thinks of that!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...