Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Did you enjoy fellowship today?

Photo by Evgeni Dinev

I have a great friend! I want to tell you all about her. She calls me at the perfect times just to say hi and see how I am doing. She really has a knack for knowing just when I need to talk. She sends me texts and emails frequently to check in. I don't usually have time to respond, even though I intend to. She gave me the best, most thoughtful gift for my birthday this year. It was exactly what I wanted. Huh. I just realized I don't even know what month she was born! She likes to meet for coffee or lunch and invites me, but I am just so busy with other things, I dont really feel like moving my schedule around. My friend is so thoughtful and she puts so much into our relationship. It really makes me feel special.

A little one-sided don't you think? Hopefully you realized that was a made-up story. I hope I am a better friend than that!

Unfortunately, this is exactly the way some of us treat Jesus. He calls out to us and we ignore his voice. He invites us to spend time with him and we are just too busy to fit it into our day. We often turn to Him when we need something and never bother to ask if there is something we can do for him.

One definition that I found for fellowship is: intimate communication, sharing of thoughts or emotions. 

That is what Jesus wants from us. He doesn't want us to check in just because we feel obligated and replay our day for him (P.S. He already knows).  He wants us to come to him with our true feelings, questions, praises and concerns. He wants to have a genuine two-way relationship with us.

God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (1 Corinthians 1:9) The word for fellowship used in this verse is koinonia it is a Greek word and it means partnership, participation and communion.

Can you imagine having a partnership with someone where there is no communication, no interaction and no reciprocation? I don't think the partnership could survive for very long.

If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:6-7

God knows, and people will eventually know, if we are in fellowship with Christ. When we are spending time with him, we cannot help but be changed. We begin walking in light. We begin to talk and act like Him. We become little Christ's in the world which is what being Christian is really all about.


Walk with the wise and become wise, 
for a companion of fools suffers harm.


Proverbs 13:20 

I can't think of a better person to walk with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...