Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Zig Zag Prayer


In my journey with God, I can look back through my journals and see different seasons that I have lived through. At times, I could not get enough of the Bible. The only thing I wanted to read was the actual word of God. At other times, I wanted to read and do Bible studies. I couldn’t get enough knowledge about Christianity or various topics. At other times, I seemed more focused on worship. Right now, I seem to be moving into a time of concentrated prayer.
I used to think I needed to do it all really well. That I shouldn’t focus on one thing and let other aspects take a back seat for awhile. I felt guilty for not sticking to a routine that included the same amount of worship, study, scripture and prayer everyday. I’m not so sure that my ideas were correct. Thinking about it now, it seems very legalistic. I know we should not take that approach when we are building a relationship with anyone, let alone a relationship with God.
Looking back over those times more closely, I think that God was leading me to different books, scripture or music. He knew exactly what I was going to need for that portion of my journey. He was always there ahead of me waiting to fulfill the need before I even knew it existed. I think that it is important to follow our instincts when we feel a need in our spirit.
A friend in my Bible Study group is a professional organizer. Recently, she used a term that got our attention. Zig-Zag organizing is basically when you move from one thing to the next without completing a task. It is not really effective or efficient. Since she mentioned it, I have been very aware of my habits. I must be a zig-zag thinker! Almost everything I do, involves zigging and zagging and very little completing.
This morning, I started thinking about how I can make my prayer life more effective and efficient to overcome the dreaded zig-zag syndrome. I have several prayer request lists and books (by Stormie Omartian) that I would like to read daily. I decided that I would make my own book that would combine all of these lists and prayer guides into one. Each day of the month I will pray specifically for my husband, my kids and myself along with prayer requests I may receive.
Prayer is such an important aspect of our walk with God. Sometimes though, I overcomplicate it. God doesn’t care if I use big words. He isn’t impressed by a well thought out eloquent prayer. He just wants to hear from His child.
James 5: 13-16 
The Prayer of Faith
Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Lord, I thank you for your son, Jesus. Without him, I would not be able to come to your feet in prayer. I love your guidance and the wisdom that you have given me in your perfect timing. Teach me to be an effective prayer warrior. I want to be your partner in changing the world on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...