Thursday, March 11, 2010

Close Encounters

Have you ever had one of those study times when it feels like God is right there talking to you? I love that feeling! I had one today.

I am currently doing the "Breaking Free" study by Beth Moore with my small group (Beth's words and ideas are in blue). The study today was all about
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

As only Beth can, she dissected the scripture, explained each of the pieces, then put it back together so that I could apply it to my life. "Strongholds are like concrete fortresses we've constructed around our lives for protection and comfort. These fortresses become prisons. At some point we realize we no longer control them. They control us." Hmmm.... giving other people too much weight, power and control over my life? Sounds like a stronghold! One that I have dealt with so many times in my life. I am a pleaser. I want to make others happy. I want others to be happy with me. I don't want to offend anyone. Insecurity plays a major role in strongholds. I was/am not confident in who God made me. Unbelief that God can do anything (which is a sin). "We often rationalize our strongholds. We maintain excuses for not surrendering areas of our lives to the authority of Christ". My excuse: I need this or that (person, approval) to be ok.

divine power to demolish strongholds (v.4)
The truth is that I really only need Jesus to be ok.

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God (v.5) I thought I knew what was best. I didn't seek God first and ask Him. Another sin- pride!

we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (v.5) We become victors through surrender to Christ. I need to surrender to Christ. I may have to do this everyday or even several times a day.

So here is the prayer I wrote in my notebook:
I am still so easily swayed by the enemies lies! God please break any strongholds in my life. I want to live in your perfect will today and everyday. I do not want to put anyone or anything in the place that only you should be.

I still had a few minutes, before I needed to get ready for the day. So, I opened another favorite, Come Away My Beloved by Frances J. Roberts. I turned to the bookmarked page and found:Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Roberts wrote, "Put down your anxieties, and trust Me for everything. You need nothing but what I am fully able to supply, with no effort on your part. I do not ask all My children to live in so complete a degree of trust, but I require it of you, because you cannot please Me with anything less."

I can feel the heat from the refining! Discipline has never felt so great... and freeing!

1 comment:

  1. From week 9, day 1. He will keep (nasar) in perfect peace (shalom) him whose mind (yetser) is steadfast (samak) because he trusts (batach) in him. Isaiah 26:3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...