Monday, March 15, 2010

Am I boring?

I read an article quite a while ago. It left a big impression on me. In fact, it was one that I kept. I'm not sure how I feel about it though.

It was written by Paul Scanlon. He is the founder of Abundant Life Church Ministries. Scanlon writes, "Christianity is not boring, but many Christians are because their interests go no further than all things churchy. If my one interest is church, then obviously I will only connect with church people, but it won't help me reach the vast majority of the planet who don't live in that world. If I only socialize with Christians, listen to Christian music, read Christian books, watch Christian television, attend a Christian school, vacation at Christian resorts, attend Christian exercise classes and go to my Christian hairdresser, then I think it's safe to say I need to get out more.

Millions of us burned our Elvis records, gave up our interests in politics, business, media, fashion, the arts, technology, entertainment and show business. We did it all for Jesus, who never asked us to give it up in the first place! We've become uncomfortable and at times dysfunctional in the worlds we left, worlds we demonized and theologized into becoming our enemies, worlds that God loves and hardwired us to flourish in. We were designed by God to prosper behind enemy lines- not for comfort, safety or retreat."

He concludes, "God made you to be interesting, so don't let the church make you boring. Don't work on developing a new personality, just work on building some bridges of interest. And before you know it, you will be in another world of potential new relationships and influence. If the great apostle Paul was willing to become "all things to all men," so can we. And whatever happens, it will be interesting!"

You can read the entire article here Are you Bored? on pages 24 & 25.

So what is written?

John 15:19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

John 17:14-15 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.

1 John 2:15- 17 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

I recently read this, by Beth Moore, "To live victoriously, every day we must learn to pour out our hearts to God, confess sin daily, acknowledge every hollow place and invite Him to fill us fully! Then we need to continue to fan the flame of His love by reading Scripture, listening to edifying music, and praying often. We also need to avoid things that obviously quench His spirit."

Proverbs 13:20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

Proverbs 17:24 A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

Proverbs 23:12 Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.

I had a computer programming professor that always said "garbage in, garbage out". He was referring to the programs that we wrote, but could the same be said about our mind?

In order to become "interesting", I can watch Grey's Anatomy and make conversation with others who like that show. But, are those the images and situations that I want to put in my head? I can listen to main-stream music, but what are the messages I am I hearing? I can go to a bar with friends, with the intention of finding someone to minister to, but what am I exposing myself to, in the meantime?

I am NOT trying to condemn anyone, believe me, I have my own guilty pleasures! I am not saying any of these things are right or wrong. I think it would be easy to go off the chart- marking everything as either right or wrong. I don't believe that God calls us to hide out and limit our interactions with the world, as we cannot win others to Christ that way. So, where do we draw the line?

When we are filling our time, and ultimately our minds, do we say this is "good" or do we strive for this is "great"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...