Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I dumped my resolution!


Photo by Stoonn




I don't make New Year resolutions. There are many reasons... I never know how to pinpoint the change I want to make. I get overwhelmed by the vast possibilities. I'm not sure how to go about the changes. I have trouble following through on them and then I feel disappointed with myself for failing. Many years ago, I decided that avoiding resolutions altogether was the best option for me.


Last year, however, I heard about an alternative to the traditional resolution. It is called My One Word. This organization encourages focusing on one word rather than a list.

I like it! I think I could actually follow through with one word.

So after praying about it, "Love" became my one word for 2012.

At first, I felt like this was a rather simple word. The more I thought about it, however, the more complex it became in my mind. I really feel that God is leading me to love people the way that He loves them. To look at others beyond what is seen or first appears and to look deeper.

God reminded me of this verse A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)

So I wondered, how do I go about this? It goes against my human nature to love others completely and unconditionally the way God does. I turned back to God's Word and our friend Paul for more direction.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13: 4-7)

This simple recipe for loving others is something I can do. Not through my own strength, but with God's help. I know I will have good days and bad. But I also know I will become more like my Father through this year and that is my ultimate goal, even beyond 2012.


***
I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment. What are you hoping to do in 2012?  Share your resolutions or perhaps your word...

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your word.;-)

    God lead me to "Surrender" this year. Something that is altogether hard for me... but with His guiding and strength, I am ready for my journey. I know it won't be easy, but Praise Him, He is every patient with my stubborn heart.

    Blessings to you, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "love" this! Good to see you posting again. Hope you have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought this was one of your best blogs! I'm with you, resolutions never work and I Love your word. I believe mine is going to be JOY this year, it's something that is so easy to lose.
    Love You my friend.
    SheilaC
    Inspired by God

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle- I LOVE your word too! So much meaning there.

    Kathy- It is good to be back. I "saw" you at GOC. Great job, so proud of you for getting involved.

    Sheila- Thank you! Joy is a good word. I agree... It is so easy to lose when we are not adamant about holding on to it. Or keeping my focus on where it actually comes from :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your word Lynnette! Mine this year is "submission." I have battled some strongholds for years that God is saying NOW is the time to let them go so I can move you forward. Obedience is now not just about me but about this class I am leading. As a teacher we are called to a stricter judgement (James 3:1) and it is time to get serious, time to quite following my own desires and follow the Spirit completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Submission is good Brandee! Not always easy though. As always, I am praying for you and your new class.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...