Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dangerously Straight

I recently got a new haircut. I have discovered the key to making it look its best, is to straighten. As my hairdresser suggested, I went out and bought all kinds of products to help me achieve the desired effect.

My new shampoo is called Dangerously Straight, and this morning, it reminded me of a conversation I recently had with a friend. We were discussing the boundaries of having fun as Christian Women. We both agreed you can take it too far. In fact, we got a good laugh out of remembering her concern about dying her hair red "because Christian women don't have red hair". We can laugh about it now, but I think this is a real problem for Christian's. We tend to make up our own rules and put such strict boundaries around our life, that we end up not having fun. This "church lady syndrome" ends up being a terrible witness to the world around us.

Our goal in life should be to become more like Jesus. In the second part of John 10:10, Jesus said "I came that they may have life and have it to the full". Strong's Concordance defines full, as abundant. God wants us to have a full, abundant, happy life. He has given us boundaries. It is our job to live within those guidelines, not set up more of our own.

Why are we giving ourselves more boundaries? I think the key is in the first part of John 10:10, The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy. I think that we have bought into the rules of this world. I can't think of a better way to destroy the people of God and keep new people away from Him, than to make a relationship with Him look like drudgery. Satan tells us lies and we believe them. Good girls don't ____________. Before we know it, our lives are not filled with joy and fun. Our faces hang low. We are not experiencing the freedom that Christ died to give us. We accept Christ in order to be set free from the penalty of sin. This does not mean we can't have fun, it means we have a different kind of fun.

After the conversation with my friend, I did a google search for: what do Christians do for fun. I was amazed at the "hits" that I found. Some people poked fun at others who asked this question, some people provided extensive lists, one poor woman said "I accepted Christ and now I'm bored. I can't do any of the things I used to do". This woman, who received poor advice, quit reading anything but her Bible, unplugged her tv and quit calling her friends. I know that this is not what God had planned for her life!

We need to know God for ourselves, know his boundaries and keep Jesus at the center of our lives. This will help us discern what is Godly and what is worldly. The more space Jesus takes up in our hearts, the less room for the ways of the world. The more we pursue this kind of fun, the easier it will be to identify. The more we practice this kind of fun, the more uncomfortable the old kind of fun will become.

We also need to know our stumbling blocks. If we have strongholds or addictions, we need to avoid the triggers that could cause us to fall. God may set up additional boundaries for us in these areas. We need to listen to His prompting and obey! He is trying to keep us from sin.

Growing up, we had a collage of pictures of Jesus that hung in our dining room. The images portrayed Jesus with various expressions. Some of them were pained, some were content, but my favorite was the one of him laughing. I found this picture years later at the book store. I keep it in my Bible now to remind me not to be too serious. My Dad always says, "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out of here alive".



Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your son to die for me. I know that you want me to enjoy this life, that you paid for. Please teach me your ways. I want to see the beauty, the comedy and the joy that you created. Please give me discernment to see the ways of the world and the strength to avoid them. Thank you for loving me and giving me the boundaries that keep me safe. Your word says your will fill me with joy and laughter (Job 8:21). I claim that today in the name of Jesus. Joy and laughter are mine and I will not let Satan steal them from me any longer. I love you, Lord and I live to serve you, joyfully. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Elated to be "the friend" in this posting my dear Lyla. I am happier still to know that we are going to find the fun that Christ meant for us...together.

    Loved the example you used of the woman 'being bored.' I definitely wasn't there...yet but knew I was headed there.

    I do still read my bible alot, and like you... know that I need to have coffee with Jesus every morning or my day tends to be 'off'. But I am not making myself read it and not forcing myself to only be with Christian friends or not watch TV.

    Today I am thrilled to be blessed enough to have all of my friends be Christian friends, His choice I am sure. I still listen to music only now I blast Lincoln Brewster, Matthew West, or Casting Crowns through my surround sound in my library as I sew for His ministry.

    And... I am even happy to say that I still have red hair. =D I can't believe I put off dying it so long because, in looking around church, no one else seemed to have red hair. I thought to myself "I had red hair in my "bad, over indulging lifestyle....I can't possibly do that as a Christian."

    Thank you for being there after the salon that day and confirming all that you shared in your post. He wants us to live life to the fullest and He doesn't care what color our hair is as we do it.

    My life was so out of control before my daily coffee and relationship with Jesus that I tried to change everything, thinking it would make me more like Him. No...as far as I know, Jesus was not a redhead but He did laugh, he drank, he had friends, he loved.

    Looking forward to a further fulfilled life with you Lyla (Love ya like a sister....in Jesus). Your friendship has been THE greatest happiness I have ever known and I can picture Jesus looking just as He does in your picture, each time He sees us together.

    THANK YOU for this post. I can't wait to share with everyone. =D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...